Monday, October 17, 2011

Homeschool Budget


The Blog Cruise topic is: Do you set a specific budget for your homeschool supplies and books?

I do make up a budget for our homeschool year. Not so much a dollar amount that I want to spend, more of an amount I know I dont want to go over.
I start working on it sometime in March so it's ready for the used curriculum sales that start in April. If I can buy used, I do!

I keep a notebook during the school year and make notes on certain curriculum I'd like to check out or may be a good fit for my family, anything my kids may ask to learn about or if we are having trouble on a specific subject I will look for some extra things that may help in that area.

I think I'm a bit of a curriculum junkie. I've been homeschooling 10 years and have 10 children, so we've accumulated a decent amount of "stuff". I have my favorites that I use with each child over and over, just having to purchase any consumables that go along with it. I also like to try new things!! (Another reason TOS has been such a blessing!)

Every year I attend our state homeschool convention and find lots of great things there. I never go without my list and exact needs for each child. That doesn't mean I never leave with a few extras I hadn't planned on! :)

Supplies - I stock up when Wal-Mart, Staples and K-Mart start their back to school sales. I usually don't need to buy any supplies again until the next school year. I appreciate those low prices when available, so I really stock up!
I think the only supply I ever run out of is computer paper and ink.

How about YOU? Do you have a specific homeschool budget for your supplies and books?
See what others from the TOS Homeschool Crew are saying!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks so much for encouraging me to try convention so many years ago - I've come SO FAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a curriculum junkie myself!! Also with a notebook, and I LOVE used curriculum fairs!

    ReplyDelete