Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spanish For You! Review

Spanish Curriculum for Kids Grades 3-8

 

Spanish for You! begins your child on the road to fluency. It is designed from years of experience by a Spanish teacher to effectively build speaking, reading, and writing skills as well as grammar knowledge. Students learn to creatively build sentences, ask and answer questions, and truly communicate in Spanish! And they have fun doing it!!
 
I was given Spanish for You! Estaciones E-book for Product Review. I have to be honest and say I'm always a little scared to review any type of foreign language since I don't speak any, never took it in high school, and always turned that part of teaching over to my husband when my children showed an interest. It's not that I wouldn't love for them to learn a different language, it's just a subject I don't feel confident teaching.
So when I tell you how much I enjoyed this program you can understand how much I really mean I enjoyed it!

Spanish for You is easy to follow. I think this is one of the big reasons I push foreign language to my hubby - always thinking it's too hard to teach. I was pleasantly surprised to really understand what I was reading. I also appreciate how flexible this is to fit into our school days. This is set up to use four days of work, but you can go at your own pace - just remember to go in order. Each day takes about 10 to 30 minutes. However, like I mentioned before, you can modify and go at your own pace.This could last your entire school year if you plan to teach it that way (about 30 weeks). This works great in your homeschool setting or in a classroom setting, like at a co-op. I could easily teach this to all my children in several different grades.

There are five lessons in Estaciones - El calendario y el tiempo (The Calendar and Weather), El otono y la escuela (The Fall and School), El invierno (The Winter), La primavera (The Spring), El verano (The Summer). These lessons include vocabulary, phrases, and sentences related to the lesson.

There are lots of great activities and even more on the Spanish for You web site. Like - Memory, Tic Tac Toe, Word Scramble, Simon Says, Hangman, Bingo, and many, many more!

It is also recommended that you use flashcards as they can be beneficial to your child's learning. It helps them to see a pattern and learn. Card stock would work really well for your flash cards and if you're anything like me (I love my laminator), you can laminate the cards too. The flashcards work great to quiz yourself and other great activities (many listed in your guide).

The pronunciation guide was very helpful for me and my children. Not to mention being able to have access to an audio. This really completes the package.

The packages are themed (I received Estaciones, which is seasons). You can choose to order any package as they can be done in any order.

Your package will come complete with:
  • Spanish for you! soft cover book (allow up to 2 weeks for delivery) or E-book (trial pkgs.)
  • Plus the following downloads:
  • Audio download (MP3) of the entire book. You use these as the lesson guide instructs.
  • A free bonus audio of the entire book recorded by a native speaker from Mexico. (MP3)
  • 24-30 Week Lesson Guide (PDF) - The student (and parent if needed) follows this guide step-by-step to know what to do, at whatever pace works for you.
  • Self-checking worksheets (PDF) - You just print these as you need them. The lesson guide will tell you what you need to print and when.
  • Free set of pictures for making flashcards and other activity materials. (PDF)




Spanish for You! also offers you FREE mini lessons! They are easy to use and fun. Visit often as they will be adding more. Right now some of the mini lessons are - Colors and Numbers, Common Words and Phrases, The Alphabet Audio (and in Spanish too), and much more!
There is also a FREE worksheets page on the Spanish for You! site. A great supplement to your Spanish language studies.

I love that there isn't a lot of materials needed to learn so much. This package lasts an entire school year and allows breaks for holidays and lets you work at your own pace. You follow the lessons in order, but can use any of the packages to start with.

This is a great program and I'm anxious to use it again next year with my younger children as you can reuse everything!



Spanish for You! is currently available in two themes -21 Fiestas (Celebrations) and Estaciones (Seasons) with more themes in the works.  You can purchase the complete Grades 3-8 Package($64.95), or individual grade levels (Grades 3-4 package - $39.95; Grades 5-6 package -$39.95; Grades 7-8 package -$39.95; Extra Books -$12.95 each) There are also trial packages available - Viajes 4 Week Trial Grades 5-8 ($9.99) and Viajes 6 Week Trial Grades 3-4 ($12.99). 




2 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute! I just found your blog through the blog hop and I'm SO glad I did. Following along now through blog lovin' :) !

    Bisous (kisses) from France!
    Patricia
    The DIY Frenchie

    ReplyDelete