Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent


Today is the first day of Advent. I LOVE celebrating Christmas and Advent is one of the ways I use to tie in the TRUE meaning of Christmas. We do gifts, shop till we drop, read The Night Before Christmas, bake cookies, drive around and look at lights - all in fun and we have some wonderful Christmas memories doing all of these things.
However, I think it can become pretty easy to get caught up in the season and not remember the true meaning. For us that means Christ and celebrating His birth. So for the next four Sundays we will light a candle and read scripture as we count down the days till Christmas.
This year we will be reading scripture from Good News of Great Joy. I try to find something different to read every year. In the past we've done the Jesse Tree, different types of candle lighting, an Advent book to read every Sunday - so many options and I really like them all!
This year we will be lighting a candle every Sunday before we read our scripture. Needing something new since our other candles have seen better days, I decided on something simple.

Some Reindeer Moss (cute name huh?)
 
Styrofoam to stick my candle sticks in
 
A tin I had laying around, four candle sticks, and our Advent is done!
 
 
Advent is for adoring Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment