Thursday, June 24, 2010

Breastfeeding

I love to plan, make lists and research!! One of the many things I make lists for is when I am pregnant. I plan for my hospital stay, things that need done, a birth plan, ect.
Breastfeeding is something that I had planned to do with every child. For my first I got frustrated and gave up after only a few weeks. With my second I told myself I couldnt do it with a young toddler at home and she never had a drop of breastmilk. When planning for my third I was determined to nurse and sadly it only lasted a few weeks longer then it did with my first. When I got pregnant with my fourth child I read everything I could about breastfeeding. I wanted to finally do it and do it right! It was a lot of work and never came easily. It hurt and I got really sore. By three months of age my baby was getting a bottle every other feeding and before she turned six months old I had given up nursing. My next child was born premature, 14 weeks early. I pumped and stored a great amount of milk for him. I was able to nurse him for the first time at six weeks of age. But due to his size I had to supplement with a bottle and again, by six months he was only taking a bottle.
When my last child was born I was more determined then ever to nurse. We had decided she would be our last and that meant my last chance to breastfeed. I'm so thrilled to say she turned a year old the end of May and I am still nursing! We had a few rough moments in the beginning, but she has never had a bottle and I'm so happy to have nursed her this long AND still going!

In my research I've found some good information that I wanted to pass on about breastfeeding -
Breast milk has disease-fighting cells called antibodies that help protect infants from germs, illness, and even SIDS. Infant formula cannot match the exact chemical makeup of human milk, especially the cells, hormones, and antibodies that fight disease.
Premature babies do better when breastfed compared to premature babies who are fed formula.
Breastfeeding can save you between $1,160 and $3,915 per year, depending on the brand of formula.
Breastfeeding requires a mother to take some quiet relaxed time for herself and her baby, helping them bond. Physical contact is important to newborns and can help them feel more secure, warm, and comforted. Breastfeeding mothers may have increased self-confidence and feelings of closeness and bonding with their infants
Breastfeeding saves on health care costs. Total medical care costs for the nation are lower for fully breastfed infants than never-breastfed infants since breastfed infants typically need fewer sick care visits, prescriptions, and hospitalizations.
Breastfeeding is better for our environment because there is less trash and plastic waste compared to that produced by formula cans and bottle supplies.
Breastfeeding protects your baby from gastrointestinal trouble, respiratory problems, and ear infections.
Women who had breastfed were 25% less likely to develop premenopausal breast cancer than women who had never breastfed.
AND this list goes on...

No comments:

Post a Comment